- 1989 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Textual Record. 97 pp.
Name of creator
The Humanitarian Project was founded by Arnold Kohen, with support from figures such as Anderson, Bishop Paul Moore Jr of New York, and others.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Various documents that include memorandums, letters and documents written in 1989.
This item contains:
- Stenographic transcript of hearings before the Committee on Foreign Relations, United
States Senate - Nomination of John Cameron Monjo, of Maryland, to be Ambassador to
the Republic of Indonesia (12.05.1989) Washington, DC | 16 pp.
- Letter to Ms. Susan Mayne, Projects officer from the Asia Partnership fro Human
Development from Arnold Kohen (03.08.1989) with a project proposal application
attached | 15 pp.
- Tony Hall News: “UN population award to Suharto questioned” (08.06.1989)
- Tony Hall News: “114 House Members express concern over reports of arrests and
torture following Pope’s visit to East Timor” (17.12.1989) | 2 pp.
- Tony Hall News: “Hall warns that Indonesians are ‘stage-managing’ Pope’s visit to East
- Congress of the United States from Tony Hall, Member of Congress (13.11.1989)
- “Message to church and humanitarian agencies and persons of good will” from Martinho
da Costa Lopes (10/1989)
- Memorandum to John Carr, Tom Quigley, Jerry Powers, Bob Dumas, and Nancy Wisdo
from Robert T. Hennemeyer (06.10.1989) Subj.: Visit by Priests from East Timor
- Letter to Arnold Kohen from the Human Rights Watch (04.04.1989)
- Letter to Carlos Filipe Ximenes Belo from Rev. Reinaldo M. Cardoso (14.11.1989) (in
- Tony Hall News: “118 House Members raise concern over East Timor” (09.06.1989) | 3
- Multiple interviews (22.02.1989) | 7 pp.
- Phone calls (02.11.1989)
- Letter to Noam Chomsky from Arnold Kohen (15.11.1989) | 3 pp.
- Letter to Arnold Kohen from Carol Bernstein (07.07.1989)
- Letter to Arnold Kohen from Steve Alston (07.11.1989)
- Minutes of APHD UK consultation held at the CAFOD offices. (12.09.1989) | 6 pp.
- To Do lists (14.11.1989) | 2 pp.
- East Timor Research Project: Financial Report For 1989
- Memo from Arnold Kohen to Sidney Jones (15.11.1989) Subj.: The memo to Bishop
Moore - attached is Kohen’s draft memo to the Bishop | 3 pp.
- A proposal for a One-Day Workshop on East Timor (1989) | 9 pp.
- “Pope calls for protection of religious freedom in Indonesia by Victor L. Simpson
- “Human Rights, Catholic-Moslem relations dominate Pope’s Asian Trip Eds: Leads with
4 grafs to Update with departure.” by Victor L. Simpson (06.10.1989) | 2 pp.
- “Indonesia denies reports of arrests, torture in East Timor” (21.10.1989)
- Amnesty Concerned about East Timor Arrests (19.10.1989)
- Congressional Record - October 12th, 1989 | 4 pp.
- Expression of support for the Apostolic Administrator of Dili by the clergy of East Timor
- Memo for Bishop Moore written by Arnold Kohen (1989)
- Letter to Carol Bernstein Ferry from Arnold Kohen (11.07.1989) | 2 pp.
- Congress of the United States - Tony Hall (18.05.1989) | 2 pp.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Generated finding aid
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Originals found at Bishop's University.