Various documents 4
- 1975-2000 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Textual Record. 96 pages.
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
This document contains various letters, press releases ad documents.
- Document written by five East Timorese people which they presented at British Embassy. The first speech was written by Temotio Jose Fernandes whose parents were both killed by the Indonesian occupying forces in Los Palos, along with other member of his family. The second by Antonio Baptista Sequira, two members of his family were killed at the time of the Indonesian invasion of East Timor. The third was Nelson Turquel who took part in the demonstration of 12 November 1991. The fourth was Joaquim Alim who also took part in the demonstrations of 12 November 1991, but managed to escape from St. Cruz cemetery at the time of the massacre. The fifth was Egas Soares and he was one of the activists who took part in the demonstrations at the time of Pope John Paul’s visit to Dili in 1989 and also, the one of 12 November 1991. (09/1995) | 2 pp.
- Burg Schlaining Declaration (05/06/1995) written by Burg Schlaining, the Embassy of Portugal | 2 pp.
- Two letters from Kay Rala Xanana Gusmao, member of CNRM and Commander of FALINTIL, written to supporters in the UN (07/01/1994) | 2 pp.
- A pamphlet entitled: “West Papua, Colony of conquered land?” that includes subtitles such as ‘During the last Ice Age?’, ‘1848… carved up like a Christmas cake.’, ‘West Papuan flag 1961’, ‘West Papuan human rights?’, ‘Ecology + Culture = Life’. written by the Tasmanian West Papua Association | 2 pp.
- A flyer entitled: “Indonesia Under Suharto, Oppression, brutality & Slaughter” which describes what doing business with Indonesia is like and how corrupt and brutal the military dictatorships of General Suharto is. On the other side of the flyer, it details East Timor’s struggle against Indonesian Colonialism Continues. The flyer was written by Australians for a Free East Timor. (06/1995) | 2 pp.
- A message recently received from East Timor Resistance elements is roughly translated. It includes that at the Indonesian army day celebration on 17/04/1995 in Dili, the Indonesian army Commander told participants that if/when the UN secretary General and the International Community support the integration of East Timor into Indonesia and it list what would happen. (21/04/1995) | 2 pp., first page in Portuguese.
- An article entitled, “Who’s to Blame? Australia or Indonesia” which discuss the major oil find in the Timor Gap in February 1994, Brisbane-based oil and gas company Petrox NL has been the focus of protests over Australian exploitation of the situation in East Timor.
- Letter to The Editor of The NT News from Rob Wesley-Smith, President of the Australians for a Free East Timor (18/07/1995)
- A flyer entitled: “Please come to the Inaugural Meeting of The Northern Territory Council for Civil Liberties at Brown’s Mart” It had taken place on Tuesday, December 10th.
- “McGauran accuses government of pandering to Indonesia” (19/04/1995) Australian News
- Australian-East Timor Association - Resource List, includes books, badges, car stickers, map, music cassettes, postcard, poster, t-shirt. (04/1993) | 2 pp.
- Email written by CDPM with the subject line: CNRM Communique - the title: “Communique from the Maubere Resistance National Council, Fretilin Directive Communication (22/03/1993) | 2 pp.
- UN Secretary of General Report: General Assembly - Forty-ninth session Item 07 of the provisional agenda, subject entitled “Question of East Timor” - progress report of the Secretary-General (09/1994) | 2 pp.
- “Agreement between Cecilia Inacio (Reis) and Jose Ramos Horta (04/1993)
- “Statement by Cecilia Inacio Reis” (04/1993) Re: Husband and Bank a/c
- “Statement… R. Wesley-Smith” (12/11/1992) Re: At Indon. Consulate | 2 pp.
- A document that lists the chapters of this book entitled: “Twice in a Lifetime - Australia’s Betrayal of East Timor.” The chapters are entitled: Introduction, A Personal Account, The First Invasion… World War II, East Timor Between the Wars, East Timor Untamed, 1975-94, Australian’s Complicity, East Timor in Australian Exile, Australian Responses… For and Against East Timor, Paths and Prospects for a Settlement. | 3 pp.
- Two letters from Xanana Gusmao written to supporters in the UK (27/11/1993)
- Senate Question (No.1589): “East Timor” - Senator Margetts asked the Minister for Foreign Affairs, upon notice, on 9 August 1994: with reference to changes to Australian foreign policy in East Timor since the Indonesian of 1975. | 2 pp.
- Extract from the Current Senate Hansard Database: “Questions without notice - East Timor” Page: 572 (07/02/1995)
- Press Release: "Joint Movement for Self-Determination Referendum for East Timor.” It was signed by Dr. George Aditjondro, Indonesian Campaign for a Referendum for Self Determination for East Timor, Jose Gusmao, East Timor National Council of Resistance, Flavia Pires, Timorese Democratic Union & Rob Wesley-Smith, Australians for a Free East Timor (25/11/1994)
- Current Senate Hansard: “Questions without Notice - East Timor” page: 2973 (14/11/1994)
- “Statement by Bill Hayden, MP” Leader of the Opposition (20/01/1978)
- “Visit to East Timor” written by Allan Dermody of Sydney, Australia. It is a personal account of a couple who completed a two month trip through the Eastern Indonesian Archipelago culminating in a month’s visit to friends and relatives in East Timor. (10/1994) | 3 pp.
- Letter to Senator the Hon Gareth Evans, Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade from the Hon. Warren Snowdon, MP of the Northern Territory (23/11/1992) | 2 pp.
- Letter to Jose Gusmao from Rob Wesley-Smith, AFFET (11/04/1994) | 4 pp.
- “The truth about Timor” written by Sam Moresh which is a document about the history of Timor and about Moresh’s 18 year old brother, Ben, who he believes was murdered in West Timor’s capital, Kupang, last April in 1994. | 2 pp.
- A flyer entitled: “East Timor - casualty in the arms race” which includes the Federal ALP East Timor policy which was adopted at the ALP Notional Conference in Canberra, it also lists the steps that the new government should adopt immediately. (10/03/1983) | 2 pp.
- A pamphlet entitled: “Strengthening Legal Aid and Human Rights in Indonesia”, leading Indonesian Lawyer, Dr. Buyung Nasution, Tours Australia, it includes: ‘who is Dr Buyung Nasution?’, ‘what is LBH?’, it lists his speaking dates and how someone can help the LBH (9-20 September 1994) | 2 pp.
- “Last part of letter to Jose Gusmao” written by Rob Wesley-Smith (01/04/1994)
- Letter to Wesley from Jose Ramos-Horta (12/10/1978) | 2 pp.
- Letter to Rob Wesley-Smith from David Kacey, British Campaign for an Independent East Timor (14/12)
- “Another radio planned, Timor protest rally told call for support” (08/12/1976) N.T. News
- Letter to The Ombudsman from Rob Wesley-Smith, the letter is entitled “the DAWN reference 77/1633” (23/09/1979)
- Letter to Mr. A.G. James of Waters, James & O’Neill, Barristers, Solicitors & Notary from Wal Fife, Minister for Business and Consumer Affairs (26/09/1977)
- Letter to the Ombudsman from Rob Wesley-Smith (07/10/1979)
- Letter to Neal from Rob Wesley-Smith (21/01/1978)
- Letter to Neal and David from Rob Wesley-Smith (24/12/1977)
- A document that is written by AETA that includes the following resolution from this meeting be sent to Darwin for transmission to East Timor. (18/09/1977)
- Letter to David Adrian Neil from Rob Wesley-Smith (07/09/1977)
- Letter to the Indonesian Government from Rob Wesley-Smith & Bill Day (1977)
- Letter to the Editor of The Star from Rob Wesley-Smith (19/09/1977)
- Document entitled: “Arrest by Customs and Navy - 16 September 1976” written by Robert Wesley-Smith (18/11/1976) | 2 pp.
- Document that has the following unauthenticated message was received on outpost radio Darwin. The message was on behalf of the people of East Timor. Transcribed by Ken White, NT News (01/10/1976)
- Press Statement written by Francisco Xavier Do Amara, President of FRETILIN Central Committee in Dili (13/09/1975) | 4 pp.
- “Timor: The dragon and the mouse” written by Martz Raper (no date)
- “Last Communication from Roger East in Dili (Nov/Dec 1975)
- “Background to Timor - Independence or Death, Ex-Consul Speaks out” written by Jim Dunn in The New Darwin prior to December 7th 1975
- Memorandum to CAA Staff from Michael Crotty entitled: 'East Timor & CAA Gleanings’ (12/08/1975)
- Letter to Rob Wesley-Smith from Sue Nichterlein (31/07/1978)
- “Let East Timor speak” public radio transmitter-receiver for two-way contact between Australia and East Timor (10/12/1976) with a sign up sheet attached | 2 pp.
- Letter to the Hon. Andrew Peacock, Minister for External Affairs from Dr. Bill Roberts, Chairman (17.02.1977)
- Memo to: East Timor Support Groups written by David Scott, Member Executive Committee (18/02/1977)
- ‘On behalf of Timorese Community” a list of concerns written. (15/01/1977)
- A letter to Rob Wesley-Smith from H.C. Morris, Moystn Park (02/12/1976)
- Letter to Rob Wesley-Smith from David Scott (08/02/1977) | 2 pp.
- Letter to Rob Wesley-Smith from Denis (15/02/1997) | 2 pp.
- Letter to the Indonesian Consulate, to the Department of Immigration & to Telecom, c/o Post Office, Darwin written by the Committee of Timor groups in Darwin supporting the Democratic Republic of East Timor (07.12.1976)
- Letter to Mr. Rob Wesley-Smith from David Scott (03/12/1976) | 2 pp.
- Letter to Mr. Robert Wesley-Smith from Rev. G. Bucknall, on behalf of members of the United Church in North Australia Conference (15/10/1976)
- The Northnews, Vol. 2, No.121: ‘Gun Running Case’ & 'Portuguese colony on Timor’ (18/10/1976)
- Telegram to Alarico Jorge Fernandes, Minister for Information East Timor from Darwin Timor Information Centre (1976)
- “It’s up to you and me to make Australia see” A song for East Timor entitled: Timorese song of Liberation. (no date)
- Letter to Mr. Robert Wesley-Smith from David Scott (04/11/1976) | 2 pp.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
One page is written in Portuguese.