- 1984 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Textual record. 82 pp.
Name of creator
The Humanitarian Project was founded by Arnold Kohen, with support from figures such as Anderson, Bishop Paul Moore Jr of New York, and others.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
This item contains:
- Letter to John J. O'Connor to Mgsr. Martinho da Costa Lopes (02.10.1984) | 2 pp.
- Highlights of June 1984 meeting between Archbishop John O’Connor and the former Apostolic Administrator of East Timor, Martinho da Costa Lopes written by Arnold Kohen (30.11.1984) | 2 pp.
- Letter to Tony Hall from Mario Soares includes an addendum (28.02.1984) | 6 pp.
- Letter to Archbishop John O’Connor from Mgsr. Martinho da Costa Lopes (08.06.1984)
- Statement of Martinho da Costa Lopes, Apostolic Administrator of East Timor, 1977-1983 to the American Catholic Bishops’ Committee for Social Development and World Peace (12.06.1984) | 4 pp.
- Letter to Arnold Kohen from Torben Retboll (10.01.1984)
- Letter to Torben Retboll from Madeleine Edmonson (25.09.1984)
- Letter to Reverend William M. Levers from Reverend Theodore M. Hesburgh (12.11.1984) | 2 pp.
- Transcript of press conference of Prime Minister Mario Soares, Madison Hotel, Washington, DC (15.03.1984) Subj.: Exchange on East Timor
- NC News Service: Shultz notes concern over human rights in East Timor (13.07.1984) | 4 pp.
- Letter to Reverend Richard A. Blake from Edward Doherty (23.08.1984)
- Memorandum to Edward Doherty and Rev. William Lewers from Arnold Kohen (15.12.1984) Subj.: Some good news.
- Statement by the Foreign Minister of Indonesia on East Timor (25.10.1984) | 2 pp.
- East Timor: US Ambassador criticizes foreign press (02.11.1984)
- Letter to Rev. Msgr. Daniel F. Hoye from M. D’Souza, Secretary General of the Federation of Asian Bishops’ Conferences (21.11.1984)
- Memorandum from Arnold Kohen to Ed Doherty (11.11.1984) Subj.: Thoughts on your conversation with Shapiro and the possibility of Human Development funds. | 2 pp.
- Mini-Memo from Arnold Kohen to Edward Doherty (1984) Subj.: Possible grant from Sid Shapiro’s Foundation to East Timor Research Project and Possible grant from Franciscans
- Letter to Tony Hall from Rev. Msgr. Daniel F. Hoye, General Secretary of the United States Catholic Conference (26.06.1984)
- Letter to Rev. Robert L. Charlebois from Patrick C. Jones, Director-Indonesia Program (03.01.1984) Subj.: Bishop of Dili visit to ETADEP | 2 pp.
- Letter to Rev. Msgr. Daniel F. Hoye from Apostolic Pro-Nuncio (6.7.1984) enclosed is a document named East Timor
- Letter to Arnold Kohen from the Comissao Para os Direitos do Povo Maubere (05/1984) |3 pp.
- Memorandum to Fr. William Lewers from Edward Doherty (2.5.1984) Subj.: Return visit of Msgr. Lopez
- Letter to Arnold Kohen from Rev. Daniel P. Driscoll, Director of Maryknoll Fathers and Brothers
- Letter to Senator David Durenberger from Rev. Msgr. Daniel F. Hoye (26.06.1984) and his reply
- Shultz talks with Mochtar on Pacific and East Timor by Peter Millership (1984)
- NC News Service: Pope denounces apartheid, urges Indonesia to respect human rights (10.07.1984) | 2 pp.
- Memorandum to Ed Doherty from Marty of the House of Representatives (1984)
- Congressional Record: May 9th, 1984 | 2 pp.
- Memorandum to William Lewers from Edward Doherty (24.07.1984) Subj.: Financial support for the East Timor Research Project | 2 pp.
- Memorandum to Edward Doherty from Arnold Kohen (18.07.1984) Subj.: Financial condition of the East Timor Research Project
- Department of State Briefing Paper: East Timor (1984) | 7 pp.
- Memorandum of conversation (March 22, 1984, 11:15 to 12:15) Subj.: Current situation in East Timor. Participants: Alphonse La Porta, Al Lane and Edward Doherty | 4 pp.
- Letter to Monsignor Martinho da Costa Lopes from Carlos Filipe X. Belo, Apostolic Administrator (16.02.1984) translated from Portuguese | 3 pp.
- Memorandum from Arnold Kohen to Edward Doherty (06.03.1984) Subj.: Congressional hearings on East Timor in 1984 | 3 pp.
- Letter to Reverend Pio Laghi Apostolic Nuncio from Rev. Monsignor Daniel F. Hoye (02.05.1984) | 2 pp.
- Memorandum to Fr. William Lewers from Edward Doherty (08.03.1984) Subj.: Hearings on East Timor: A Proposal | 4 pp.
- Letter to Rev. Dr. A.J. Simonis from Carlos Filipe Ximenes Belo (04.12.1984)
- Handwritten notes (February 1984) | 2 pp.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
One page of a document is in Portuguese but is translated to English.
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Generated finding aid
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Originals are found at Bishop's University.