Various documents 2
- 1975-2000 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Textual Record. 70 pages.
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
This item includes various letters, press releases and speech written by members of AFFET and others.
- Letter to the Honorable Gareth Evans, Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade from the Honorable Warren Snowdon, MP, Member for the Northern Territory (23/11/1992) | 2 p.
- Letter or Statement by Rob Wesley-Smith, long time East Timor and other Human Rights supporter (14/09/1993)
- ‘East Timor Peace Plan’, written by the National Council of Maubere resistance (11/1993) | 4 p.
- ‘Former Aussie envoy blasts E. Timorese campaigns against RI’ The Indonesia Times (18/06/1993)
- ‘East Timor, the hidden war, the struggle for justice at home and abroad’ written by the AFFET (22/11/1991) | 2 pp.
- A document entitled “Our views on East Timor” written by school children who voice their opinions about the situation in East Timor. (no date) | 2 pp.
- Extract from the current Senate Hansard Database: “Answers to Questions - East Timor” (02/02/1994) | 2 pp.
- “Joint CTEE on Foreign Affairs, Defence & Trade” (10/06/1992) | 5 pp.
- Letter to Mr. Russell Rollason, Executive Director of the Australian Council for Overseas Aid from Senator Gareth Evans (23/11/1989) | 2 pp.
- “Timor Gap Treaty” [Questions without notice, p2702] (01/11/1989) | 2 pp.
- “Lucky escape for gravesite photographer” Northern Territory News.(08/12/1991)
- A ‘Free East Timor’ flyer with some contacts listed if you want to assist the East Timor cause but do not feel comfortable subjected to the Indonesian cameras and Australian authorities gaze. It contains contacts at the Portuguese Embassy, in Australia, in Indonesia and the United Nations Secretary General. (1993)
- Extracts from letters received from Joao F. Da Camara (Oct. - Nov. 1993)
- Letter to President Suharto, President of Indonesia from the East Timorese Nationalists in Darwin and Supporters (07/12/1993)
- Public Statement: “Release of Political Prisoners in East Timor” written by Peter Wesley-Smith of the University of Hong-Kong (08/08/1993)
- The Committee for Darwin as Australia’s Northern link to East Asia - Terms of Reference, (29/10/1993)
- Flyer titled “Indonesia out of East Timor Now! Free Xanana! Boycott Bali!, on the back of the flyer, it has the ACFOA Resolution listed (09/1993) | 2 pp.
- Press Release: "American Pentagon Backs Indonesian Agressions: Warns Australian Prime Minister to end criticism of Integration” written on August 3rd, 1976. Released again on September 29th, 1993 by AFFET.
- “Keating poor on human rights like his predecessors” (09/1993)
- “East Timorese Youth in forefront of fight and suffering to liberate East Timor” this document gives the history of what was happening in East Timor (09/1993) | 2 pp.
- Pamphlet entitled: “Darwin supporters for a Free East Timor” [in Indonesian] (08/1993)
- Flyer entitled: “We are citizens of the world!” which is trying to get the younger people of today to be active in the fight for a healthy environment, and for respect for human rights for all and how they can help this fight. (08/1993)
- Flyer entitled: “Merdeka or Non-Merdeka!” which gives some basic history of the islands north of Australia and the injustices the East Timorese are facing (08/1993)
- Flyer entitled: “Free Xanana, Free East Timor” which describes grave concern about the health and life of Xanana Gusmao, who was on a hunger strike in prison in Dili. It includes background of East Timor since 1975. This was written by the East Timor Action Committee, Darwin (06/1993) | 2 pp.
- An article entitled, “Xanana Defies Jakarta” 'Xanana was sentenced to life imprisonment by an Indonesian court after he upset the regime's script by refusing to make his defence plea in Indonesian and by, then. making a clear and strong rebuttal of authority of the court as the instrument of an illegal colonizing power. Xanana was able to read only three pages of a 21-page handwritten speech.' This article contains excerpts from this speech, which was smuggled out of Dili and released in English by the British Campaign for Human Rights in Indonesia (TAPOL) (1993) | 2 pp.
- Australians for a Free East Timor, Media Release: “Whose debt, Mr. Keating?”, (24/09/1993)
- Press Release: “Some recent information from East Timor re Political Prisoners and the Military Occupation Forces” (12/09/1993) | 2 pp.
- A leaflet entitled, “Free Xanana, Free East Timor” It contains various sections: East Timor: an international responsibility, East Timor’s Nelson Mandela & what you can do. (1993) | 2 pp.
- Resolution for NT ALP conference: East Timor - Indonesia (06/1993)
- Article entitled: “Fretilin Peace-Plan” (no date)
- Speech by Terry Smith, it is part of the speech 10 years on from 07/12/1975 - 07/12/1985
- Northern Territory Trades & Labor Council - Media Release (28/11/1991)
- In reply to the Australia - Indonesia Maritime Delimitation Treaty, Joint Standing Committee on Treaties, Parliament of Australia - Public Hearing in Darwin (08/10/1997). There was a Submission for AFFET (Australians for a Free East Timor) and ACET (the Australian Coalition for a Free East Timor) by Rob Wesley-Smith, the spokesperson for both | 5 pp.
- A document entitled: “Remembering East Timor - 1975 - 1995, 20 years of shame” which contains the history: The Invasion, The United Nations and East Timor, International Betrayal, Genocide, East Timor Today & it includes various quotations from people involved. (1995) | 2 pp.
- Australian Coalition for a Free East Timor - Media Release: “Japan and War Crimes - Past and Present” (15/08/1995)
- Statement by Veronica Pereira, aged about 62, she was the highly respected traditional “grandmother” of the East Timorese community in Darwin. She was speaking on behalf of her ‘farcical arrest by NT police outside the Indonesian consulate in Darwin on May 21st, 1993'. The statement takes place on. June 8th, 1993. | 4 pp.
- Australians for a Free East Timor - Press Release for Japanese: “Japanese policies only worsen Human Rights abuses for East Timorese” written by Rob Wesley-Smith, President of AFFET (14/01/1996)
- Australians for a Free East Timor - Press Release: “Howard, Suharto, East Timor, Japan Flag Burning” written by Rob Wesley-Smith, President of AFFET (17/09/1996)
- Australians for a Free East Timor - Press Release: “Tap on Wrist for Murders” written by Rob Wesley-Smith, President of AFFET (21/06/1995)
- Resolution to renew the determination for peace on basis of lessons learned from history - full text of draft resolution (no date) | 2 pp.
- “The (Star-Spangled) East Timor Banner” by Rob Wesley-Smith (07/1978)
- Letter to Rob Wesley-Smith from John Howard, Minister for Business and Consumer Affairs (16/05/1977)
- Email from Rob Wesley-Smith with a poem for Anzac Day attached (24/04/2000)
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
One document is in Indonesian.