- 1978 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Textual Record. 38 pp.
Name of creator
Arnold Kohen founded The Humanitarian Project, with support from figures such as Anderson, Bishop Paul Moore Jr of New York, and others. He worked with NBC as an investigative reporter, and was influential from 1979 onward in getting Timor-Leste into the editorial and news pages of US mainstream media outlets including The New York Times, The Washington Post, The Christian Science Monitor, The Boston Globe and many other publications. His advocacy work in the US Congress involved several figures, including Democratic Congressman Tony Hall, Democratic Senators Paul Tsongas and Carl Levin, Republican Senator Dave Durenberger and later, Republican Senator Malcolm Wallop. Globally, he was active in networks starting with the first international conference on East Timor held in Lisbon in May 1979 and including the Christian Consultation on East Timor network.
In addition to his own work, Kohen was at the centre of a number of networks, making him one of the world’s most-connected Timor advocates. The political range included Noam Chomsky on the Left to former Reagan Administration National Security Advisor William Clark on the Right. The collection thus represents a remarkable record of Timor advocacy and documentation in the USA and internationally.
Materials in this collection relate to Kohen’s Timor advocacy from 1975 to about 2007, covering the period of Indonesian occupation (1975-99) plus a box of additional
materials for the years after 1999. The collection comprises 15 boxes now at Bishop’s University in Quebec. Two boxes of additional material are expected in May 2019.
One of the 15 boxes is made up of records supplied by Martin Rendon, aide to Representative Tony Hall and longtime Timor supporter. One additional box is made up of 1975—1984 materials from Daniel Southerland, former diplomatic correspondent for the Christian Science Monitor and one of the most respected foreign affairs journalists of his generation. Both were close associates of Kohen and both boxes relate to Timor-Leste. The remaining boxes are Kohen’s own papers. They are in the process of being described at Bishop’s.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
This item contains:
- American aid to Indonesia ignores Human Rights abuses (01.01.1978) St. Louis Post-Dispatch
- Guerillas in Timor still fight in Indonesia (19.04.1978) The New York Times
- 29 000 Indonesians, held as Reads, are being freed after testing (26.04.1978) The New York Times
- Mondale lauds Indonesia for freeing prisoners (07.05.1978) The New York Times
- Freed Indonesian prisoners goes home to find his wife remarried, no job (1978)
- California’s Family Affair (19.05.1978) Seven Days | 2 pp.
- The sun keeps trying to set on a colonial Past (03.08.1980) The New York Times
- US forges new links with South-east Asian states (04.08.1978) The Guardian
- Rights in Indonesia (5-6.08.1978) International Herald Tribune
- Indonesia: developing a feeling of unity (04.08.1978) Far Eastern Economic Review | 2 pp.
- U.S. Human-Rights Laws: trade barrier (13.08.1978) International Herald Tribune
- ’60 000 died in Timor invasion’ (20.08.1978) The Sunday Times
- E. Timor trying to cope with 125 000 refugees (12.09.1978) International Herald Tribune
- Haven of bamboo and thatch (13.09.1978) The Age
- East Timor: Beyond the Fighting (26.09.1978) The Asian Wall Street Journal
- Indonesia: Timor’s arithmetic of despair (29.09.1978) Far Eastern Economic Review | 3 pp.
- E. Timor emerges from War, Isolation (27.09.1978) Los Angeles Times | 2 pp.
- Collapse forecast for the revolt of East Timor (18.10.1978) San Francisco Chronicle
- East Timor’s travail (09/1978) Atlas World Press Review
- Chomsky accuses U.S. on East Timor conflict (02.12.1978) The New York Times
- All the News that fits (25.12.1978) The Village Voice
- Mary McGrory: Spies who leave your illusions out in the cold (1978)
- The Bronco workhorse: ask Timor about it (1978) a flyer
- Australian aid for starving Timor (02.11.1979) Financial Times
- 30 000 deaths (14.09.1978) The Guardian
- East Timor fight against Indonesia a ‘hopeless cause’ (05.10.1978) The Times
- Misery in Remexico (13.09.1978) San Francisco Chronicle
- A better class of thumbscrew (15.05.1978) The Village Voice
- CIA said to aid Indonesia units in East Timor (20.06.1978) International Herald Tribune
- East Timor guerrilla group ‘faces collapse’ (25.09.1978) The Guardian
- The Big Test (08.05.1978) The Village Voice
- Mondale is a nonexpert who matters (14.05.1978) Week in Review
- Indonesia: W.S. Rendra (28.08.1978) The Times
- Island diplomacy (03.09.1978) Sunday Times
- East Timor protest (29.04.1978)
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Originals found at Bishop's University.
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Dates of creation revision deletion