- [1997-1999] (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Textual Record. 10 pp.
Name of creator
East Timor (Timor-Leste) was invaded in 1975 by Indonesia and occupied by the Indonesian armed forces until 1999, with widespread resulting human rights violations. The East Timor Alert Network (ETAN/Canada) was founded in 1986 to raise awareness about the situation of East Timor and to change Canadian government policy, which accepted Indonesian rule.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Llyod Axworthy was the Minister of Foreign affairs for Canada during the 90s. In 1997, he visited Jakarta, Indonesia and held discussions with President Soharto about the importance of human rights.
This item contains:
- Authorization of multinational force for East Timor
- Letter by Worthy regarding Canada's role in Timor following the elections
- Canada, Indonesia and Human rights
- Press release: Axworthy in the Footsteps of Mandela?
- News release: Axworthy urged to stop military sales to Indonesia and to meet with jailed East Timorese resistance leader in Jakarta
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Originals found at McMaster University.