- [1986-1997?] (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Textual Record. 38 pp.
Name of creator
East Timor (Timor-Leste) was invaded in 1975 by Indonesia and occupied by the Indonesian armed forces until 1999, with widespread resulting human rights violations. The East Timor Alert Network (ETAN/Canada) was founded in 1986 to raise awareness about the situation of East Timor and to change Canadian government policy, which accepted Indonesian rule.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
This item contains articles and emails regarding the arms embargo on Indonesia.
- Church, union leaders call for end to Indonesia sales
- Sit-in ends in arrest for protesters
- Canada to fund Indonesian military training
- Canadian military sales to Indonesia; Indonesia's Military Regime; Canada's role
- Jakarta pursues arms
- Arms to Indonesia - the Liberal gov. is propping up a dictatorship
- Groups to protest arms sales to Indonesia
- Recommendations regarding the future of Canadian military goods production and export
- Canadian arms flood world's war zones
- Emails regarding Canadian arms sales to Indonesia
- External Affairs silent on East Timor
- Canadian arms sales to Indonesia condemned
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Originals found at McMaster University.