- 1995 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Textual Records. 32 pp.
Name of creator
East Timor (Timor-Leste) was invaded in 1975 by Indonesia and occupied by the Indonesian armed forces until 1999, with widespread resulting human rights violations. The East Timor Alert Network (ETAN/Canada) was founded in 1986 to raise awareness about the situation of East Timor and to change Canadian government policy, which accepted Indonesian rule.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
This file contains correspondence between various companies and Canadian Prime Minister, Jean Chrétien regarding putting a trade embargo on Indonesia on the eve of the 20th anniversary of the Indonesian invasion. Includes newspaper clippings regarding ending the trade.
- Canadian Union of Public Employees
- National Union of Public and General Employment
- Canadian Auto Workers Union
- United Food and Commercial Workers International Union
- Public Service Alliance of Canada
- United Steelworkers of America in Canada
- Communications, Energy and Paperworkers Union of Canada
- Canadian Union of Postal Workers
- International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers
- B.C Union
- Telecommunications Workers Union
- Newfoundland and Labrador Federation of Labour
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Originals found at McMaster University.