- 1989 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Textual Record and Photograph. Eighteen pages.
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
This document contains eight separate documents.
- A photograph entitled, “Demonstration on Human Rights Square (Trocadero, Paris, France)” with the description: 1989: When Pope John Paul II visited Dili. This was the first demonstration organized in France under the name “Agir pour Timor” (Act for Timor) to make noice about East Timor and let people know about the situation and the struggle. Trocadero is the Human Rights Square in Paris. In the background we see the Eiffel tower for its 100th birthday.
- A different photograph with the same description as above.
- A newspaper article entitled, “Paul wants the Pope to join his crusade” written by Beverley Taylor published in the East London Advertiser. November 1989.
- Two newspaper articles, the first entitled, “Hunger strike still on” written by Beverley Taylor published in the East London Advertiser on November 3rd, 1989. The second article is entitled, “ Hunger striker Paul is backed by Kinnock” published in the East London Advertiser on November 24th 1989.
- A photograph entitled, “Demonstration in Dome City Utrecht (The Netherlands)” with the description: 14 October 1989: Action Group Purnarma and other activists march in Utrecht, The Netherlands after Pope JPII’s visit to East Timor resulted in violence. Utrecht was chosen as the location for this march. JPII visited here in May 1985.
- A document with two photographs attached. The first entitled, “Tokyo, Japan” with the description: 1989: Mr. Abilio Araujo together with Dr. Ana Gomes, then Portuguese Ambassador to Japan, at a symposium in Tokyo.The second entitled, “Hakata, Japan” with the description: 1989, Aug: Mr. Rogue Rodrigues speaks at the photo exhibition of Elaine Briere during a PP21 Rally in Hakata.
- A document entitled, “Primeriras Jornadas de Timor da Universidade do Porto (First Days of Timor at the University of Porto).” 1989. | 2 pages in Portuguese.
- A booklet entitled, “Timor-Leste: Identidade do seu povo e perspectivas para o futuro” (Timor-Leste: Identity of its people and perspectives for the future) written by A. Barbedo Magalhâes and Jorge Mendes. April 29th. 1989. | 9 pages in Portuguese.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
11 pages are in Portuguese.